415 Sutardja Dai Hall (CITRIS Building), University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-1764
Phone: (510) 642-6450; email: email@example.com
Director: BEST Lab: Berkeley [Energy and Sustainable Technologies |Expert Systems Technologies | Emergent Space Tensegrities] Lab
Alice M. Agogino is the Roscoe and Elizabeth Hughes Professor of Mechanical Engineering and affiliated faculty at the Haas School of Business in their Operations and Information Technology Management Group. She directs the BEST Lab: Berkeley Energy and Sustainable Technologies | Berkeley Expert Systems Technology | Berkeley Emergent Space Tensegrities.
Alice Agogino served as Chair of the Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate in 2005-06, having served as Vice Chair during the 2004-05 academic year. She has served in a number of other administrative positions at UC Berkeley including Associate Dean of Engineering and Faculty Assistant to the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost in Educational Development and Technology. She also served as Director for Synthesis, an NSF-sponsored coalition of eight universities with the goal of reforming undergraduate engineering education, and continues as Founding Director for the Engineering Pathway digital library of engineering courseware. She is currently serving as Chair of the Development Engineering Graduate Group. She has supervised 130 MS projects/theses, 41 doctoral dissertations and numerous undergraduate researchers.
Prior to joining the faculty at UC Berkeley, Dr. Agogino worked in industry for Dow Chemical, General Electric and SRI International. Her research interests include: soft robotics, community-based design; sustainable engineering, internet of things, intelligent learning systems; information retrieval and data mining; multiobjective and strategic product design; nonlinear optimization; probabilistic modeling; intelligent control and manufacturing; sensor validation, fusion and diagnostics; wireless sensor networks; multimedia and computer-aided design; design databases; design theory and methods; MEMS synthesis and computer-aided design; artificial intelligence and decision and expert systems; and gender/ethnic equity. Dr. Agogino has authored over two hundred peer-reviewed publications in these subject areas. She is a member of AAAI, AAAS, ASEE, ASME, AWIS, IEEE, NAE and SWE and served as Chair of the AAAS section on Engineering (2001-2002). She serves on the editorial board of three professional journals and has provided service on a number of governmental, professional, and industry advisory committees, including the NSF Advisory Committee for Engineering, Engineering Directorate, (1991-96, Chair 1996-97); Guidance Committee of the “Removing Barriers to Collaborative Research” project of the National Research Council (NRC) Government-University-Industry Roundtable (1997-98); NRC Committee on “Standards for Technology Education,” (1997-98); National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Academic Advisory Board (1998-2002); NAE “Engineering of the Year 2020” Planning/Steering Committee (Co-Chair of Planning, 1999-2000; Member of Steering; 2002-2005) and Executive Committeee, Digital Media Innovation Initiative, University of California System (2000-2001), Manufacturing Engineering Laboratory of the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST; 2004-2005), JPL/Cal Tech Engineering Advisory Board (2003-2005), National Academies Board on Science Education (BOSE, 2005-2007) and the Women in Academic Science Engineering Committee of the National Academies Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy (COSEPUP; 2005-2010). She has served on a number of university advisory boards: CMU, KAUST, Harvard/Radcliffe, MIT and SUTD.
Dr. Agogino received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of New Mexico (1975), M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering (1978) from the University of California at Berkeley and Ph.D. from the Department of Engineering-Economic Systems at Stanford University (1984). She received an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award in 1985; Pi Tau Sigma Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1986; Ralph R. Teetor Educator Award in 1987; SME Young Manufacturing Engineer of the Year Award in 1987/88; Best Paper Award (with S. Bradley) at the ASME-Design, Theory and Methods Conference in 1990/91; Best Paper Award at the AI Applications ’92 Conference; Most Outstanding Alumnus at the University of New Mexico in 1992; elected AAAS Fellow in 1994; Best Paper Award (with Andy Dong) at the Artificial Intelligence in Design’96 Conference (with Robert Paasch); elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1997; Best Paper Award (with Ann McKenna) at IEEE/ASEE FIE’97; John Wiley & Sons Premier Award for Quality Courseware (with David Yu) in 1997; Best Overall Paper Award at ASEE ’98 (with Ann McKenna); IEEE Helen Plants Award for “Best Non-Traditional Session” at the 1998 IEEE/ASEE Frontiers in Engineering Education Conference; and First Runner-up for the Novel Smart Engineering System Design Award (with Ningning Zhou, Bo Zhu and Kris Pister) in 2001; Fellow, Association of Women in Science, 2003; NSF Director’s Award for Distinguished Teaching Scholars, 2004; ASME Xerox Best Paper Award (with Shuang Song), 2004; IEEE Robotics & Automation Society Best Paper Award at the Symposium of Micro- and Nano-Mechatronics for Information-based Society (with R. Kamalian and Y. Zhang), 2005; elected Fellow of ASME, 2005; Chancellor’s Award for Advancing Institutional Excellence, 2006; Faculty Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Mentoring, Mechanical Engineering Graduate Student Council, 2007; Chancellor’s Awards for Public Service:CARES (Community Assessment for Renewable Energy and Sustainability), 2010; Best Note Honorable Mention, (with Kimiko Ryokai, Lora Oehlberg and Michael Manoochehri) ACM CHI (Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems), 2011; Professor of the Year , UC Berkeley Pi Tau Sigma, 2011; Academy of Distinguished Alumni, University of New Mexico, 2012; and Leon Gaster Award for Lighting Technology (with Yao-Jung Wen), 2012; AAAS Lifetime Mentoring Award, 2012-13; “Reviewers’ Favourite Award” (with Euiyoung Kim, Victoria Kocsik and Cecile Basnage) International Conference on Engineering Design, 2013; Assemblymember Nancy Skinner STEM Women of the Year, 2014; IEEE Senior Member, 2014; ASME Ruth and Joel Spira Outstanding Design Educator Award, 2015.
Most Recent Research Publications (2014-2015)
- “What Alumni Value from New Product Development Education: A Longitudinal Study,” (with C.L. Cobb, J. Hey, S.L. Beckman and S.-Y. Kim), Advances in Engineering Education, special issue on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, ASEE, in press.
- “Analysis of Collaborative Design Networks: A Case Study of Open IDEO”, (with M. Fuge, K. Tee, and N. Maton), Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering (JCISE), 14 (2) 2014. doi:10.1115/1.4026510. Pre-publication version.
- “Affordable and Personalized Lighting Using Inverse Modeling and Virtual Sensors”, (with C. Basu, B. Chu, J. Richards, A. Dhinakaran, and R. Martin), Proceedings of the SPIE Smart Structures Technologies for Civil, Mechanical and Aerospace System, Vol. 9061, 8 March 2014. doi:10.1117/12.2048681
- “SUPERball: Exploring Tensegrities for Planetary Probes”, (with A.P. Sabelhaus, A.P., K. Caluwaerts, J. Bruce and V. SunSpiral)
tProceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Automation in Space (i-SAIRAS), June 2014.
- “SUPERball: Modular Hardware for a Mobile Tensegrity Robot”, (with A.P. Sabelhaus, A.P., K. Caluwaerts, J. Bruce and V. SunSpiral),
Proceedings of the WCSCM6 (6th World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring), July 2014.
- “Identifying Design Opportunity Spaces in New User Interfaces for Exoskeleton Mobility Devices”, (with E.Y. Kim, J. Jeong, K. Mock, and V. Kocsik) Proceedings of the International Design Conference – Design 2014, May 2014, pp. 517-528.
- “How Online Design Communities Evolve Over Time: The Birth and Growth of OpenIDEO”, (with M. Fuge and N. Maton),
Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (DETC), Design, Theory and Methods, August 2014.
- “User Research Methods for Development Engineering: A Study of Method Usage with IDEO’s HCD Connect”, (with M. Fuge and S. Hewens), Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference (DETC), Design, Theory and Methods, August 2014.
- “Learning about Learning and Engineering: Engineers, Students and Educators Co-Design Challenges for a Science Museum”,
(with J. Wang), Proceedings of ASEE Annual Conference, June 2014.
- “Sensor-Based Predictive Modeling for Smart Lighting in Grid-Integrated Buildings”, (with C. Basu, J. Caubel, K. Kim, E. Cheng, A. Dhinakaran ), IEEE Sensors , special issue on Sensing Technologies for Intelligent Urban Infrastructures, IEEE, Vol. 14 (12), December 2014, pp. 4216-4229. 10.1109/JSEN.2014.2352331
- “Machine Learning Algorithms for Recommending Design Methods”, (with M. Fuge, B. Peters), ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 136 (10), Oct. 2014 (MD-14-1013; doi: 10.1115/1.4028102).
- Chez Panisse: Building an Open Innovation Ecosystem, (with Henry Chesbrough and Sohyeong Kim), Berkeley-Haas Case Series and also in the Harvard Business Review, 2014.
- Chez Panisse: Building an Open Innovation Ecosystem, (with Henry Chesbrough and Sohyeong Kim), California Management Review, Vol. 56, No. 4, Summer 2014.
- “Design for Development Online: An HCD Anlysis of OpenIDEO”, (with P. Gordon and M. Fuge), Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress, 2014.
- Career Choices of Female Engineers, (CSWEM Committee Report of Workshop), National Academies Press, 2014.
- “Rapid Prototyping Design and Control of Tensegrity Soft Robot for Locomotion”, (with K. Kyunam, A.K. Agogino, D. Moon, L. Taneja, A. Toghyan, B. Dehghani and V. SunSprial), Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO 2014). Finalist for Best Student Paper Award.
- “Co-Creation of Culinary Experience Design in the Chez Panisse Open Innovation Ecosystem,” (with S. Kim and H. Chesbrough),
1st Annual World Open Innovation Conference, Dec. 4-5, 2014.
- “Pattern Analysis of IDEO’s Human-Centered Design Methods in Developing Regions” (with M. Fuge), Vol. 137 (7), MD-14-1571 in the ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 2015. Pre-publication version.
- “System Design and Locomotion of SUPERball, an Autonomous Tensegrity Robot,” (with A.P. Sabelhaus, J. Bruce, K. Caluwaerts, P. Manovi, R. G. Firoozi, S. Dobi, and V. SunSpiral), Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 26-30, 2015, Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, Washington.
- “Emergent Form-Finding for Center of Mass Control of Ball-Shaped Tensegrity Robots,” (with K. Kim and A.K. Agogino), ARMS (Autonomous Robots and Multirobot Systems) workshop, (affiliated with the 14th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems – AAMAS 2015). Istanbul, Turkey, May 4-5, 2015.
- “Design Roadmapping: Challenges and Opportunities,” (with E.-Y. Kim and S. Yao). Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED15), July 27-30, 2015, Milan, Italy, http://iced2015.org/.
- “Design Talking: A Taxonomy of Design Methods in theDesignExchange,” (with C. Roshuni, J. Kramer, Q. Zhang and L. Zakskorn ).
Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED15), July 27-30, 2015, Milan, Italy, http://iced2015.org/.
- “Design Practitioners’ Perspectives on Methods for Ideation and Prototyping,” (with S. Beckman, J. Kramer, C. Roschuni and M. Yang), Proceedings of the 2015 Mudd Design Workshop, Center for Design Education of Harvey Mudd College, May 2015.
- “Design Thinking in Development Engineering,” (with D. Levine), Proceedings of the 2015 Mudd Design Workshop, Center for Design Education of Harvey Mudd College, May 2015.
- “Detection of Chiller Energy Efficiency Faults Using Expected Maximization,” (with R.L. Hu and J. Granderson), to appear in Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2015, Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE), ASME.
- “Mechanism Design and Simulation of an Underactuated Spine-Like Tensegrity Robot,” with A.P. Sabelhaus, P. Hylton, Y. Madaan, C.W. Yang, J. Friesen and V. SunSpiral), to appear in Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2015, Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, ASME.
- “Design Talking: How Design Practitioners Talk About Design Research Methods,” (with C. Roschuni and J. Kramer),
to appear in Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE 2015, International Conference on Design Education, ASME.
- “Soft Robots Using Compliant Tensegrity Structures and Soft Sensors”, (with Chen, L.-H., P. Keegan, M. Yuen, R.K. Kramer, A.K. Agogino and V. Sunspiral) ICRA Workshop on Soft Robotics, ICRA 2015 http://icra2015.org/conference/workshop-and-tutorial-schedule.
- “Robust Learning of Tensegrity Robot Control for Locomotion through Form-Finding,” (with Kim, K., A.K. Agogino, A. Toghyan, D. Moon, L. Taneja), to appear in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2015),
Selected Disciplinary Research Publications
- F. Nadi, A. M. Agogino and D. Hodges, “Use of Influence Diagrams and Neural Networks in Modeling Semiconductor Manufacturing Processes,” IEEE Transactions on Semiconductor Manufacturing, Vol. 4, No. 1, Feb. 1991, pp. 52-58.
- K. Ramamurthi and A. M. Agogino, “Real-Time Expert Systems for Fault Tolerant Supervisory Control”, ASME Transactions, Journal of Systems, Dynamics and Control, Vol. 115, June 1993, pp. 219-227.
- R. K. Paasch and A. M. Agogino, “A Structural and Behavioral Reasoning System for Diagnosing Large-Scale Systems,” IEEE Expert, Vol. 8, No. 4, Aug. 1993, pp. 31-36. (Won best paper award).
- N. Michelena and A. M. Agogino, “Formal Solution of N-type Taguchi Parameter Design Problems with Stochastic Noise Factors,” ASME Trans., Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, No. 2, June 1994, pp. 501-507.
- S. R. Bradley and A. M. Agogino, “An Intelligent Real Time Design Methodology for Catalog Selection,” ASME Trans., Journal of Mechanical Design, Dec. 1994, Vol. 116, pp. 980-988. (Won best paper award).
- “ A Case-based Conceptual Design Information Server for Concurrent Engineering,” (with W.H. Wood), CAD (Computer-Aided Design) Journal, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 361-369, 1996. Download pdf of paper.
- A. Dong and A. M. Agogino, “Text Analysis for Constructing Design Representations,” Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Engineering,
Vol. 11 (2), pp. 65-75, 1997. (Won best paper award).
- W.H. Wood and A.M. Agogino, “Decision-Based Conceptual Design: Modeling and Navigating Heterogeneous
Design Space,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 127, Issue 1, Jan. 2005, pp. 2-11.
- Su, S.X.P., H.S. Yang, A.M. Agogino and A.S. Hou, “Resonant Accelerometer with a Two-stage Microleverage Mechanisms Fabricated by SOI-MEMS Technology,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol.5, No.6, December 2005, pp. 1214-1223.
- “Tangible Interactions in a Digital Age: Medium and Graphic Visualization in Design Journals,” (with L. Oehlberg and K. Lau), Engineering Design, Automation and Manufacturing (AIEDAM), Vol. 23 (3), 2009, pp. 237-249.
- “Case-based Reasoning for Evolutionary MEM Design” (with C.L. Cobb), ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 10 (3), September 2010, pp. 031005-1-031005-10. Pre-publication version of paper.
- “Hierarchical Component-Based Representations for Evolving Micro-electromechanical Systems Designs” (with Y. Zhang), AI EDAM (AI in Engineering Design, Automation and Manufacturing), Vol. 25, 2011, pp. 41-55
- “Control of a Wireless-Networked Lighting System in an Open-plan Office”, (with Y.-J. Wen), Journal of Lighting Research and Technology, Vol. 43 (2), June 2011, pp. 235-248. (Won Leon Gaster Award for Lighting Technology for 2011).
- “Intelligent Systems in Product Development: A Retrospective”, (with C.C. Hayes, A. Goel, Irem Tumer, W. Regli), Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, ASME, Vol. 11 (2) June 2011, pp. 021007-1/9.
- “Analysis of Collaborative Design Networks: A Case Study of Open IDEO”, (with M. Fuge, K. Tee, and N. Maton), Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering (JCISE), 2014. Pre-publiation version.
Selected Publications on Engineering Education and Diversity
- A. M. Agogino, “Integrating Design and Manufacturing Education within Broader Societal Goals,” Testimony to the House of Representatives, Committee on Science, Space, and Technology, May 12, 1992. (Published in the Congressional
- S. Hsi and A. M. Agogino, “The Impact and Instructional Benefit of Using Multimedia Case Studies to Teach Engineering Design,” Journal of Educational Hypermedia and Multimedia, Vol. 3, No. 3/4, pp. 351-376.
- Wood, W.H. and A. M. Agogino, “Engineering Courseware Content and Delivery: the NEEDS Infrastructure for Distance-Independent Education,”Journal of the American Society for Information Science, Vol. 47, No. 11, 1996, pp. 863-869.
- D. Yu and A. M. Agogino, “Virtual Disk Drive Design Studio,” CD ROM, Synthesis Coalition, 3112 Etcheverry Hall, UC Berkeley (Sampler on the NEEDS Database, 1997 v. 1. (Winner of a 1997 Premier Courseware Award for instructional software, 1997.)
- A. McKenna and A. M. Agogino, “Integrating Design, Analysis and Problem Solving in an Introduction to Engineering Curriculum for High School Students.” Engineering Education: Contributing to U.S. Competitiveness; Proceedings of ASEE ’98, ASEE, June 28-July 1, 1988, CD ROM, Session 1280, pp. 1-14. (Won ‘overall best paper award’ for ASEE ’98). An updated version of this paper was published as: “Supporting Mechanical Reasoning with a Representationally-Rich Learning Environment”, (with A. McKenna), Journal of Engineering Education, ASEE, Vol. 93, No. 2, pp. 97-104, April 2004.
- A. Dong, J. Wu, S. Song and A. M. Agogino). “Design Principles for the Information Architecture of a SMET Education Digital Library,”
Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, June 24-28, 2001, pp. 314-321. (Nominated for the JCDL 2001 Vannevar Bush award.)
- C. Dym, A.M. Agogino, O. Eris, D.D. Frey, and L.J. Leifer, “Engineering Design Thinking, Teaching, and Learning”, Journal on Engineering Education, ASEE, Jan. 2005, v. 94, no. 1, pp. 103-120.
- Educating the Engineer of 2020: Adapting Engineering Education to the New Century, National Academy Press, 2005. (Committee Report)
- “Self-Reflection: Lessons Learned in a New Product Development Class”, (with J.H. Hey, A.P Van Pelt and S. Beckman), Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME, Vol. 129, No. 7, July 2007, pp. 668-676.
- Beyond Bias and Barriers: Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering, National Academy Press, September 18, 2006. Report of the National Academies’ Committee on Maximizing the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering.
- “Gender Differences at Critical Transitions in the Careers of Science, Engineering and Mathematics Faculty,”
(co-authored with Committee on Gender Differences in the Careers of Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Faculty; Committee on Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine; Committee on National Statistics), National Research Council, 2010.
- “Diversity in Design Teams: An Investigation of Learning Styles and their Impact on Team Performance and Innovation,”
(with K. Lau and S. Beckman ), International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 28, No. 2, 2012, pp. 293-301.
- “Teaching Human-Centered Design Innovation across Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences,” (with L. Oehlberg, I. Leighton, and B. Hartmann), International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 28, No. 2, 2012, pp. 484-491.
- “Off the Paved Paths: Exploring Nature with a Mobile Augmented Reality Learning Tool”, (with K. Ryokai), Journal of Mobile HCI (IJMHCI), Vol 5 (2), April 2013, pp. 21-49. doi:10.4018/jmhci.2013040102.
- “Learning about Learning and Engineering: Engineers, Students and Educators Co-Design Challenges for a Science Museum”, (with J. Wang), Proceedings of ASEE Annual Conference, Paper ID #10509 June 2014.
Downloads and links:
- C.V. (pdf)
- Honors and Awards
- Publications (download pdf)
- Education and Professional Employment
- Grants (pdf)
- Teaching Record (pdf)
- MS Theses/Projects Supervised (pdf)
- Ph.D. Dissertations Supervised (pdf)
- Other Ph.D. Dissertations (2nd or 3rd Reader) (pdf)
- Visiting Scholars Supervised (pdf)
Update: 23 July 2015