While product and technology roadmaps have been well-formalized in terms of their structures, methodologies, and frameworks, design roadmaps have not been explicitly explored nor studied from either an academic or industry practice standpoint. With increasing uncertainties, rapid changes, and complexities in market environments, companies are finding that they can no longer differentiate their products and services by relying on traditional roadmapping processes that focus on technologies and product features. Rather strategies that revolve around the holistic experience of products or services are more likely to be successful in today’s market. As first step, we develop a design driven roadmapping process as a new way of preparing future product/service concepts and define elements, sequence of the process. In our research, the design roadmap is defined as a canvas that reflects expected core-design elements acquired throughout various types of design activities over time frame.
Alice Agogino (Professor, ME, UC Berkeley), Sara Beckman (Professor, Business, UC Berkeley)
Daniel Lim (Research Affiliate, ME)
Shun Yao (Undergraduate, ME)
Ingrid Hong (Undergraduate, CS)
Serena Chang (Undergraduate, ME)
Guilherme Gouvea (Visiting Undergraduate, Industrial Design)
Melanie Silva (Undergraduate, Cognitive Science)
DESIGN ROADMAPPING PROCESS
- Conduct Comprehensive Design Research
Selective in-depth interviews, behavioral observations for unexplored needs and opportunity spaces for innovation. Comprehensive online surveys. Find out pain points and develop frameworks for identified problems.
- Extract Common Themes and Insights
Synthesize data to create common themes and insights for the future. Narrow down user group focus and create primary and secondary personas and use scenarios. Record key observations and data from these personas and use scenarios.
- Identify and Prioritize List of Technologies
Research different existing technologies and functionalities. Brainstorm potential new features. Prioritize these technologies based on stages of development. Select which technologies would be beneficial and useful for the target personas.
- Map Technologies to Human Insights
Prioritize technologies based on needs that stem from human insights, and examine how technologies can be applied to address opportunity spaces and pain points of target user groups.
- Create a Design Roadmap
Combine elements from user research and technology analysis to map out a plan that integrates human-centered solutions with targeted technologies. Create a cohesive collective shared vision for a design team.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
CASE STUDIES / WORKSHOPS
- IDSA (Industrial Designers Society of America) Design Roadmapping Workshop, Aug. 2016
Date: Aug. 16th, 2016
Location: College for Creative Studies, Detroit, MI.
A design roadmap is a canvas that allows design teams strategically visualize and map out user experience design elements over time. This new approach creates roadmaps driven by innovations from the perspective of future customers, instead of solely by technology projections. This workshop will introduce the Design Roadmapping concept, frameworks, and steps used to identify anticipated product concepts through a human-centered design approach. There will be the opportunity to form teams of 3-4 with fellow professionals, educators, and students to create example Design Roadmaps on a topic either provided by the instructor or by workshop participants. Participants can expect to learn a hands-on rapid roadmap prototyping process that is well aligned with IDSA conference’s theme. The workshop will utilize tangible games, as well as digital templates and worksheets for immersive, group-based learning.
Session 1- Workshop (1.5-2 hours)
This session provides a hands-on design roadmapping workshop. Teams of 3-4 professionals, educators, and students will be formed to create the example Design Roadmap by following guided steps on the topic that is either provided by an instructor or brought in by workshop participants.
Session 2 – Presentation (0.5 hours)
This session introduce design roadmapping case studies from high-tech companies. We will show research results from 40 interviews of designers, engineers, and product managers from San Francisco Bay Area consumer product companies as well as challenges and opportunities in current roadmapping processes.
Applied design roadmaps to three technology-driven research projects in the internet of things and a large format display industry.
*Deliverables are 1) design roadmap per each project, 2) 12 Human-insights (extracted from various types of both quantitive and qualitative research methods), 3) Core Experiences, 4) Technologies and definitions.
- JERRY-THE-BEAR, SPROUTEL, PROVIDENCE, 2013-2014
Applied Integrated design roadmapping template in the stage of 2nd generation’s concept generation.
*Deliverables are 1) completed set of the integrated design roadmap including core experience, outcome, user needs, 2) technology evolution, 3) product evolution in 3 phases.
The Sproutel’s case study is featured in our paper in International Conference on Engineering Design, 2015, Milano, Italy.
- SAMSUNG IoT ENTERTAINMENT ME110 PROJECT TEAM, UC BERKELEY, 2015
Date: April. 30th, 2015
Location: #240, CITRIS Building, UC Berkeley, CA.
*Deliverables are 1) design roadmap 2) Core Experiences, 3) Core-Insights
- K-GlOBAL 2015 ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM, CENTER FOR DESIGN RESEARCH, STANFORD UNIVERSITY, 2015
Date: Aug. 25th, 2015
Location: d-school, Stanford, CA.
- Euiyoung Kim, Jaewoo Chung, Sara Beckman, Alice Agogino (2016). “Design Roadmapping: A Framework and Case Study for Planning Development of High-tech Products”, ASME Transactions of Mechanical Design, 138(10), 2016
- Euiyoung Kim (2016). “Design Roadmapping: Integrating Design Research Into Strategic Planning for New Product Development”, ph.d. dissertation paper Phd-dissertation_euiyoungkim
- Euiyoung Kim, Jaewoo Chung, Sara Beckman, Alice Agogino (2016). “Design Roadmapping: A Framework and Case Study of Planning Development of High-tech Products”, ASME DTM Conference, Aug. 21-24, 2016, Charlotte, NC, US Won Best Paper Award. detc2016-59392
- E.-Y. Kim, S. Yao and A. Agogino (2015). “Design Roadmapping: Challenges and Opportunities,” (E.-Y. Kim, S. Yao and A. Agogino), Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED15), July 27-30, 2015, Milan, Italy, http://iced2015.org/. pdf . Won Best Paper Award (Reviewer’s favorite award). https://www.designsociety.org/publication/37850/design_roadmapping_challenges_and_opportunities
- Kim, Euiyoung (2016), “Design Roadmapping: Integrating Design Research Into Strategic Planning for New Product Development”, Design Field Note, Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation, UC Berkeley, Aug. 2016 Announcement
- Kim, Euiyoung (2016), “Design Roadmapping: Integrating Design Research Into Strategic Planning for New Product Development”, Berkeley Institute of Design, UC Berkeley, Aug. 2016 Announcement
- Kim, Euiyoung (2016), “Design Roadmapping: An Iterative Design-Driven Strategic Planning Process for Professionals”, IDSA 2016, CCS, Detroit, Aug. 2016. Announcement
- Kim, Euiyoung (2016), “Design Roadmapping: A Framework and Case Study of Planning Development of High-tech Products”, IDStudio Lab, TU Delft, Feb. 2016. Announcement
- Kim, Euiyoung (2016), “Design Roadmapping: Challenges and Opportunities”, Publish-Ed Workshop, Grenoble, France, Feb. 2016.
- Kim, Euiyoung & Lim, Daniel (2015). “K-Global 2015 Entrepreneurship Program, Center for Design Research, Stanford University, Aug 2015.
- Kim, Euiyoung (2015). “Integrating Technology, Product, and Design Roadmaps: Design Roadmapping, Challenges and Opportunities”, Invited Talk, Samsung Electronics HQ, VIP (Value Innovation Program) Center, South Korea, May 2015.
- Kim, Euiyoung (2014). Iterative & Integrated Roadmapping: Developing Design Roadmaps as a means for driving Technology-Product Roadmaps, Ph.D Forum, International Design Conference, Croatia, May 2014.
- Download summary slides of the research. Design Roadmap_2 page slides.pptx
- Download Design Roadmapping Worksheets. Design Roadmap Worksheet-2pages